Monday, April 12, 2010

Writing Center Works of Art

The conversations you have at the writing center are very important in helping you to create something recognized as meaningful in the form of an academic paper. I found that the writing center was very helpful in affecting my writing process. The woman I worked with in the writing center helped me create the organization for the paper I was about to write. Starting a paper is the hardest part when you are trying to work out what exactly your paper is proving.

When I sat down at the table to discuss how I should begin to tackle the topic posed for paper two in WSC2 I immediately took all the notes I had ever taken, ideas I had written down, documents describing what to do, and the texts that I would pull from themselves and spread them out. As I sat back I looked at the material I had on the table and it appeared to be as messy and cluttered as the material I had in my head on the topic. When the tutor came in she began to ask specific questions like, "Who is that affecting?", "Where does that come up in the play?", and "Why does that matter, what does it change?" while I could easily answer her questions we quickly formed the thesis for the paper I was having such difficulty organizing on my own. Thesis formed, main ideas organized, and confidence in the assignment were over coming me as I walked out of Mason Hall and back to the blank screen to begin accomplishing the task at hand.

1 comment:

  1. So, a conversation can be like a work of art, eh? I buy that. I like how you made me visualize the clutter of your materials and then equated them with the clutter of your mind. It is as if the mess, once released from your solitary control, got cleaned up. Thus the blank screen. And the beginning of the essay. Cool.

    ReplyDelete