Monday, October 26, 2009

Writing Online...

So here I am at Hofstra, and I am blogging. Writing online makes me feel like a new aged writer. Blogging online is an incredible way to let out your inner thoughts, and share them, online. It takes communication to a whole new level. I have always kept a diary, plain old paper and pencil, to write down my thoughts and feelings. Now there is a new way to share my ideas. Honestly, writing is writing and now that it is online, the only difference is privacy. When I write in my diary I know that it is for no one but myself. Online there is no privacy and whatever you put on the Internet is for everyone else to read and have opinions on. Actually, I think I change my mind. Writing changes everything because it changes your reader, that is probably the most important part of our writing. Even when the reader is only the writer- like in a diary, you are still writing only for yourself aka only the reader. So when you publish something online and your readers could be anyone from your classmates to your mom, how you write, what you write about, and what you say about that topic completely change because of the shift in audience.
At Hofstra, in this writing composition class, I feel like we are taking advantage of the new technology and advancing our communications skills. A blog is an interesting way to write online, because you can choose your own format and details. You add your own personal touch. This is similar to our focus free writes in class because there are very few rules when you are blogging. A blog allows us to continuously write whatever thoughts come into our heads. A writer can write anywhere and anytime. This personal entry is an outlet for us to put our thoughts out into cyber-space for our classmates and anyone else who is interested to read.
The differences between college and high school become more and more prevalent every day as I begin to acclimate to college level standards. In high school my assignments would never require me to blog, or write online. And that is one of the reasons college helps you to expand your knowledge and branch out. It is interesting to mix up where we write and changing the format because it changes the mindset I am in personally when writing my assignments. I look forward to more blogging assignments, and how my blog will turn out when our blogs develop and change with each assignment. At Hofstra I am interested in learning new ways to advance my education and to better my writing, this assignment of created our own blog is the perfect example of just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment